Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Blizzard of Oz 2011

Snownami, Snowpocalypse, Snowmageddon, SnOMG, and the Blizzard of Oz are a few of the terms that have been thrown around the media to describe the incredible snow storm that dumped 14" of snow on us. It also caused 2 MORE days off from school (that's 5 now since the beginning of the year).  On Tuesday we were literally snowed in and could not go anywhere.  Today is Wednesday and thankfully the street in front of our house has been plowed.  I must admit, though, that it has been quite humorous watching the vehicles that did venture out struggle up and down our street.  Many spinning their tires, sliding down the hill and a few of them getting stuck.  Stay home, people!

I had to shovel the driveway twice and the piles on either side are enormous.  They were big enough that the kids were able to build forts in them!  It's funny how inventive the kids get in the snow...Emmy got out her tricycle and tried to ride around, and Macey got out her pogo stick!  Is that inventive, or are they just wishing it was Spring?  As I'm typing this, Macey and a few of the neighborhood kids are snow boarding down the slope in our front yard...very fun to watch! 

To help pass the time, the girls made their own lip gloss (from a kit Jolee got for Christmas) and Emmy & Jolee made home-made Valentine's for their friends at school.  Since we couldn't go to the store, we just used things we had around the house.  I found a website that had printable Valentine cards, the girls used "fancy" scissors to cut them out, then we used some leftover scrapbook paper, glue sticks and Halloween candy (that's right, we STILL have Halloween candy) and wala...Valentine's for school that cost nothing.  I love that.

I'm so happy the sun is shining today.  We even sunbathed (ok, it was on the floor right next to Max), but it felt GREAT!  How many days 'til Spring?  I need to start a countdown calendar...

It's starting to really blow and pile up...

Poor birds! 

White-out conditions

The day after...

Pogo sticking in the snow!

Everyone is digging out...

Taking a break!

Making lip gloss...


ewww...looks like a science experiment

The finished project!

Ahhh!  This feels good!


Addressing her Valentine's...


Jo addressing her Valentine's


Home-made with love!



Wala!  All done!

No comments:

Post a Comment